From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support )
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 12:14:52
1 Rémi Cardona <remi@g.o> posted 49B25553.5020302@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 07 Mar 2009 12:06:59 +0100:
3
4 > And to close off, I'll say a few things about your attitude back in bug
5 > 260582.
6 >
7 > #1 : I closed that bug because we already know about bumps. Polluting
8 > our bug list with stuff we're _already_ working on is both useless for
9 > you and annoying for us.
10
11 Not to step in the middle of that whole thing, but as a general rule, if
12 someone files a bump bug, it probably does make sense to comment on it
13 with the status, then leave it open until the ebuild hits the tree and
14 preferably hits ~arch. Among other useful things it:
15
16 * Let's any other user wanting to know about status that someone from
17 Gentoo does indeed know about it and is taking care of it, with whatever
18 detail the suggested comment provides. This simply makes sense as it can
19 avoid multiple people asking about it repeatedly, thus saving YOU time
20 and bother.
21
22 * Related to that, it (ideally) keeps anyone else from filing a similar
23 bug, as they see the still-open bug. For a bump bug especially, people
24 who might file a dup are even LESS likely to check closed bugs before
25 filing their dup, because they won't expect the bug to be closed because
26 after all, there's nothing in the tree yet. Again, this saves YOU time
27 and bother, as well as giving anyone look a hint of what's going on.
28
29 One possible exception might be for versions that you don't intend to put
30 in the tree anyway. Those bugs could be closed if desired, but given the
31 above, it may make sense to leave them open at least until the next
32 version is out, simply to decrease the possible dup hassle factor as much
33 as possible.
34
35 The bug in discussion is a case in point. I might not have filed a bug
36 on it, but I was certainly wondering about it, and finding that bug both
37 gave me some sort of tentative target to look forward to and avoided my
38 asking, either in bug form or on say the desktop list (more likely since
39 I know some folks don't like those bump bugs), what the plan was. There
40 are or likely will be others...
41
42 So yeah, a bump bug might be a bother, but it's worth taking the
43 pragmatic view and believing that the first one may well prevent others,
44 if it's dealt with properly.
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman