From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] when to use a function and an implementation use flag.
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 06:07:06
1 On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 03/24/2010 08:30 PM, Peter Hjalmarsson wrote:
3 >
4 >> For qemu-kvm the problem is that there is only one implementation (i.e.
5 >> gnutls), and if I want to have ssl support I have to enable gnutls for
6 >> this package.
7 >
8 > In this case the ebuild should have only ssl use flag.
9 >
10 >> When I wrote a bug about this I got a rather short reply from maintainer
11 >> about pointing me to the policy about this.
12 >
13 > Where did he point you to?
14
15 I didn't point him anywhere. I merely asked him for a policy on this.
16 Because senseless changes in USE flags will require my 9 VM servers
17 will need to be tweaked around for a pointless USE flag change and I
18 don't need administrative burden for the sake of administrative
19 burden.
22 >> So I have a question:
23 >> Is there no policy about this?
24 >
25 > The policy is that USE="ssl" controls whether to enable ssl support in
26 > general. Then the specific use flags like gnutls and openssl control
27 > what implementation to use if the package supports multiple.
28
29 Again, this policy is stated but no one can point me to anything. The
30 closest thing to a "policy" is you sending a follow up e-mail to the
31 dev list to make this a policy.
34 Doug Goldstein