From: Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: USE flags in virtuals, to allow a specific provider to be determined
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 19:44:13
1 On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:23:47 -0400
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This is something that should only be done on a case-by-case basis, as
5 > needed -- for instance, with virtual/krb5 only one provider can be
6 > installed at a time as they block eachother.
7 >
8 > We could leave it up to portage to error on mit-krb5 and heimdal being
9 > forced into the installation despite blocking eachother, but i think
10 > portage would have a better chance telling end-users about the
11 > conflict (and maybe helping to resolve it better via --autounmask?) if
12 > there was a REQUIRED_USE.
13
14 Okay, I didn't think of that. I'm not sure if the blocker deps or the
15 REQUIRED_USE would be more helpful for Portage, but generally I think
16 that the REQUIRED_USE error message is quite hard to understand for
17 unexperienced users -- much more so than the error generated by a
18 blocker dep.
19
20 "
21 The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
22 heimdal? ( !mit-krb5 ) mit-krb5? ( !heimdal )"
23 "
24 might be a bit confusing to some people, and remember that constraint
25 string would grow much longer if there were more providers, as grows
26 quadratically.
29 Regards,
30 Luis Ressel