From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage feature addition
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 05:04:43
Just make you aware, not everyone follows portage development and its
bound to bite some people in the ass (although I expect the users will
notice the most).

Recently commited to svn (but afaik released only in ~arch) is code to
prevent the sourcing of ebuilds with no manifest.  Thus ebuilds you
randomly download off of bugzilla need to get a lookover from you and
then ebuild foo.ebuild digest'd.

This is to prevent people from sticking a random unchecksum'd ebuild in
your tree and then having portage source it for depend() metadata and
then getting bitten by some global scope nasties.

This 'feature' is currently controlled via strict, so those that hate
hate hate it can turn it off via FEATURES="-strict"

It's implemented in doebuild, so any ops that aren't
'digest/manifest/help' aren't allowed on manifest-less ebuilds.  This
includes the 'ebuild' utility.

Having FEATURES="digest" should also disable this check.

I figured people would start asking about the failures, so better to
explain now ;)