From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage feature addition
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 05:04:43
1 Just make you aware, not everyone follows portage development and its
2 bound to bite some people in the ass (although I expect the users will
3 notice the most).
4
5 Recently commited to svn (but afaik released only in ~arch) is code to
6 prevent the sourcing of ebuilds with no manifest. Thus ebuilds you
7 randomly download off of bugzilla need to get a lookover from you and
8 then ebuild foo.ebuild digest'd.
9
10 This is to prevent people from sticking a random unchecksum'd ebuild in
11 your tree and then having portage source it for depend() metadata and
12 then getting bitten by some global scope nasties.
13
14 This 'feature' is currently controlled via strict, so those that hate
15 hate hate it can turn it off via FEATURES="-strict"
16
17 It's implemented in doebuild, so any ops that aren't
18 'digest/manifest/help' aren't allowed on manifest-less ebuilds. This
19 includes the 'ebuild' utility.
20
21 Having FEATURES="digest" should also disable this check.
22
23 I figured people would start asking about the failures, so better to
24 explain now ;)
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list