From: Jim Northrup <glamdring-inc@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] a #g-d first impression about voip (semi-technical)
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:01:46
1 > what i really replied for is to ask, if i can forward your email to a
2 > friend of mine who happens to be involved with telephony with his
3 > company, i know zero about that, i do know he does use VoIP, so maybe he
4 > finds your hack nifty
5 >
6 > |
7 > | Jim
8 >
9 > hope you better luck next time in #gentoo-dev
10 >
11 > Daniel
14 Yes, please.
15
16 roughly what I can spell out with patience is:
17
18 I have borrowed some qos configs elsehwere, applied occam's razor, and
19 been satisfied with controlling outbound traffic [using only vanilla
20 modules and no user-space].
21
22 wrt to throttling inbound traffic: I have googled, inquired, and seen
23 non-vanilla qos modules but have not found an authority with which to
24 ask a few very specific questions about ingress.
25
26 this means that inbound traffic is not throttled and i just take it easy
27 on multithreaded transfers.
28
29 goals:
30 run 5-10% headroom inbound at all times for voip (and similar realtime
31 udp streaming) on broadband, inbound and outbound. This reduces
32 upstream packet-queuing which can postpone delivery of voip packets
33
34 ideal solutions leading to the goal:
35 1) delay TCP packets, never drop. so far I haven't found an *tables
36 vanilla kernel module which documents the delay facility of a packet
37 class. the collective forum may have covered more ground than I have
38 covered
39 2) monitor all conntrack'ed tcp windows, delay ACK, and shrink windows
40 on large numbers of descriptors in realtime
41 3) files of implementation fit the regex /etc/*.d/qos (with package
42 deps, but no artifacts)
43 4) lock down the reasons why IMQ non-vanilla module/patch is the only
44 documented sane inbound qos filter on googled sources and why not to
45 treat TUN vanilla module is not an identical facility...
46
47 The answer to my unfinished questions may exist in places I haven't
48 turned over, however, testing the variations of inbound and outbound qos
49 configs is a slow process with alot of phone downtime and advanced
50 router side-effects leading to reboots.
51
52 Jim
53 --
54 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list