From: Bret Towe <magnade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mac/xmms-mac licence issue
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:48:19
1 On 12/24/05, Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 07:22:50PM -0800, Bret Towe wrote:
3 > > > > i can understand putting proper warning in the ebuild if the dev
4 > > > > thinks that its worth the user really noting the issues surrounding
5 > > > > it, not forcing their ideals onto the user
6 > > > > if i wanted that i would run debian
7 > > >
8 > > > See above, and drop the rhetoric please.
9 > >
10 > > im sorry for attempting to get my idea across
11 >
12 > Nothing wrong with discussion- you're pushing a contraversial idea.
13 > Don't need rhetoric to get what you want, you need *facts* and *good*
14 > arguements as to why your way is right.
15
16 only fact i had is i saw a bug being closed with explianation as to
17 why so i inquired and here we are
18
19 > Rhetoric doesn't fall under that, since someone will see through it
20 > and the bs flaming will start up shortly after- thus it should be
21 > avoided (and yes, I'm sure I'm probably being a hypocrit here).
24 > > > > for those that havent figured it out yet from reading the above
25 > > > > i dont care the politics of the issue with the licence all i want
26 > > > > is the functionality of the ebuild concerned
27 > > >
28 > > > Politics do suck.
29 > > >
30 > > > That said, lawyers crawling up your ass sucks worse.
31 > > >
32 > > > Bluntly, you're asking a collection of devs, who have their own
33 > > > contributions protected by licenses, to ignore a source base's
34 > > > license. That's going to be one hard sell. ;)
35 > > >
36 > >
37 > > i thought i was asking how commiting this can even affect the devs
38 > > or gentoo in general
39 >
40 > Again, you're asking us to take part in license violation- depending
41 > on the lawyerly interpretation of the license, either we're actually
42 > in violation of the license, or we're enabling license violation.
43 >
44 > Already made it clear in the previous email, you're asking folks who
45 > have their hard work protected by licenses to knowingly violate a
46 > license.
47 >
48 > Ain't going to hapen.
51 > > > > if it is the case that the devs believe the user is totally incapable
52 > > > > of making choices for themselfs then i suggest putting up
53 > > > > somewhere noting it as such
54 > > >
55 > > > Again, ixnay rhetoric; if we violate the license (which we would be
56 > > > doing), we're responsible (along with user who uses it).
57 > >
58 > > how does that work? an ebuild is a script or do you mean by the dev
59 > > testing it they also perform the same action as the user would?
60 >
61 > See above.
64 > > > It doesn't matter if someone else has picked up the source and labeled
65 > > > it as lgpl, unless the new project has *express* permission from the
66 > > > original author, they're not even allowed to screw with the source-
67 > > > the new project could be viewed as a new program.
68 > > >
69 > > > Barring the new program angle, there still is the requirement all
70 > > > fixes/changes be contributed back to the original upstream.
71 > > >
72 > > > Original upsream being dead means it's effectively impossible to
73 > > > improve the source.
74 > >
75 > > orignal doesnt matter as long as someone is
76 >
77 > Original matters, because the new project is using that codebase-
78 > they're bound by the license of the original regardless of whether or
79 > not they abide by it (iow, regardless of if they're violating the law
80 > or not).
81 >
82 > > and again i am sorry if i seem to repeat myself a bit but i find
83 > > people i talk to ether dont get what im talking about or dont listen
84 > > so i end up going in circles trying to beat what im saying into their head
85 >
86 > *Cough* there is the possibility that folks who do packaging of
87 > software might have a clue on the licensing issues here, and be seeing
88 > something you aren't :)
89 >
90 > Yes it's arrogant/elitist, but my point is that our differing opinion
91 > might have valid logic behind it.
92
93 im sorry to say i dont go with that unless they point me to that logic
94 i dont blindly follow with the rest of the sheep
95
96 > Basically... don't talk _at_ people, talk and listen (discourse).
97
98 i do but it can still end up being just talk at
99
100 > ~harring
106 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list