From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [PMS] new dep list (useful just for cross stuff)
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:40:48
1 On Wed, 2007-04-07 at 22:11 +1000, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 01:12:02 Olivier Crête wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 2007-29-06 at 09:30 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
4 > > > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
5 > > > > There are various problems that need to be addressed for cross
6 > > > > development and (especially) multilib/abi. One of the other ones that
7 > > > > you didn't mention is some kind of subpackage support. For example when
8 > > > > one installs 32 bit gtk+ to use binary firefox on an 64bit system it
9 > > > > can share the headers and docs etc. with the 64 bit version. Removing
10 > > > > either of them must however still preserve those files.
11 > > >
12 > > > A quick and dirty way implies that:
13 > > > - only the "main" abi can install stuff /usr/
14 > >
15 > > The secondary need to be able to install into their /usr/${libdir} ..
16 > > its actually the only place where stuff from the non-main abis should be
17 > > imho.
18 >
19 > If one requires synchronized versions, there should in 99% of the cases not be
20 > any issue with header files and documentation. It will be equal, so can be
21 > shared. It might indeed be an option to require the "main" abi to be always
22 > present.
23
24 I really don't see how it can be made to work in a generic wait without
25 requiring that all sub-arches use the same version as the main arch and
26 without requiring that the main arch be installed (if we were a binary
27 distro, we could do a common package and a bunch of sub-packages, but
28 now we can't).
29
30 > Paul
31 > ps. for include headers it is rather straightforward to make forwarding
32 > headers with architecture dependent redirects (using the architecture
33 > defines) in case the headers are not arch independent.
34
35 In theory, headers in /usr/include should be arch independant. You if
36 you at glib, it installs its arch dependant header in /usr/lib
39 Olivier Crête
40 tester@g.o
41 Gentoo Developer