From: Dave Gudeman <base@××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] printing-howto
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:20:42
1 I just did a printer install with a parport printer. It was a nightmare
2 because I was trying to do it without reading all the necessary
3 documentation, and the gentoo printing-howto didn't help since it made the
4 same wrong assumption I did: that the printer device is /dev/lp0. I think
5 there is some devfs compatibility mode where this works, but in general with
6 devfs the printer is at /dev/printers/0. Once I discovered this, magic
7 happened.
8
9 Anyway, you might want to add the following to the printing-howto:
10 --------------
11 The device for the printer is /dev/printers/0, not /dev/lp0 (unless you have
12 the devfs compatibility stuff).
13
14 To activate the modules for parallel port printers:
15
16 insmod parport
17 insmod parport_pc
18 insmod lp
19
20 However, you should probably mention that module autoloading will take care of
21 this once you get cups set up, I thought originally that I had to add these
22 to modules.autoload or something similar.
23
24 You don't have to do anything special for KDE, they automatically recognize
25 cups printers.