From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unstable branch proposal - second round
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 03:03:26
1 Please see below.
2
3 On Friday 29 March 2002 22:02, you wrote:
4 > On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:40, Chris Johnson got a bunch of monkeys together
5 > > I vote strongly against any cvs branches of the portage tree--that's why
6 > > we currently have the -rx designations, anyway! Leverage that and the
7 > > organic nature of the community (i.e., see my proposal at
8 >
9 > http://relentless.org:8000/gentoo/forum/message?message_id=6584&forum_id=65
10 >81
11 >
12 > > ) to get a simple, effective system.
13 > >
14 > > Please, avoid the duplication of effort that all the branches of debian
15 > > represent!
16 > >
17 > > Chris
18 >
19 [snip]
20 > The problem comes when a new user is trying to build their system and they
21 > get all these errors. We don't want to discourage newcomers by having a
22 > tree of ebuilds that is not 100% stable for their first installation.
23 >
24 > That was my main reason for suggesting seperate CVS branch(es).
25 [snip]
26
27 > Perhaps a compromise ....
28 >
29 > A stable/install CVS branch that is only used during the initial
30 > bootstrap/build process and afterwards portage defaults to using the
31 > regular CVS tree?
32 With multiple stability levels you will get the same effect by setting
33 Stability_Level = approved
34 rsync_Stability_Level = Stability_Level
35 and withoud a need for a separate CVS branch!
36 New users will get a stable system and when later they learn enough about
37 linux and gentoo in particular they will know what these flags mean and will
38 start exploring ... :-).
39 (here I refer to the flags I introduced in my writeup at:
40 www.its.caltech.edu/~georges/gentoo/epsp/proposal.html )
41 Chris proposed somewhat different definition of stability levels. While
42 overall structure is different the "stable" ebuilds will correspond to just
43 such level. (please visit:
44 http://relentless.org:8000/gentoo/forum/message?message_id=6584&forum_id=6581
45 for his submissions where he brings up some important aspects. Chris: I am
46 going to reply in the forum soon).
47
48 Side note:
49 I am not sure if we should use forum which Chis set up or continue in the
50 list. First allows nice concise place for discussion, second gives better
51 exposure. In fact there is an alternative - we can use bugs.gentoo.org and I
52 am going to enter this proposal there (not only my writeup but whatever will
53 accumulate by then) either when 1.0 comes out (and freeze is over) or in
54 about a week or two, whichever is shorter. However this has the same problem
55 of low exposure, on the other hand it grabs attention of core group, so right
56 now I like that the best.
57 If only there was a discussion area setup under gentoo.org (which would not
58 require a bugzilla account. I have no problem with that but it scares off
59 many people. For the "discussion" situation it is not really necessary
60 anyway).
61
62 George