From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, python@g.o, releng@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] December 15th Meeting Summary
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:39:54
1 On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:47:21 -0500
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > this months meeting wasnt too eventful, kind of quiet ... on the
5 > agenda:
6 >
7 > - Marius: decision on multi-hash for Manifest1
8 > there was a bit of hearsay about why the council was asked to
9 > review/decide on this issue since we werent able to locate any
10 > portage devs at the time of the meeting ...
11
12 Well, it would help if the actual meeting date would be announced and
13 not pushed back without notice ;)
14
15 > so our decision comes with a slight caveat. assuming the reasons
16 > our input was asked for was summarized in the e-mail originally
17 > sent by Marius [1], then we're for what we dubbed option (2.5.1).
18 > that is, the portage team should go ahead with portage 2.0.54 and
19 > include support for SHA256/RMD160 hashes on top of MD5 hashes. SHA1
20 > should not be included as having both SHA256/SHA1 is pointless.
21
22 Ok, not a problem.
23
24 > it was also noted that we should probably omit ChangeLog and
25 > metadata.xml files from the current Manifest schema as digesting
26 > them serves no real purpose.
27
28 You're all aware that this would break <portage-2.0.51.20 (so any
29 portage version older than 6 months)? Also while they don't affect the
30 build process they contain important information and are/will be parsed
31 by portage, so I'm not that comfortable with dropping also the option
32 of verifying them permanently.
33
34 One thing solar has pointed out is that in countries with stupid laws
35 pycrypto violates some patents so currently we cannot ship it in stages
36 or binary packages (so I'm told, I'm neither a lawyer nor someone who
37 is affected by such laws). This is probably something releng and the
38 python herd have to deal with.
39
40 So right now I'll go ahead and add the pycrypto code to portage, but
41 will not yet add the dep to any ebuild or change anything metadata.xml
42 or ChangeLog related (according to Jason 2.0.54 is still away one or
43 two weeks anyway).
44
45 Marius
50 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
51 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.