From: u01drl3@×××××××.uk
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] eselect module for choosing between gnash and netscape-flash
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:08:16
1 Hi,
2
3 I wrote an eselect module for choosing between the browser plugins from
4 net-www/gnash and net-www/netscape-flash, and I was wondering if it could
5 be included in Gentoo (probably not in its current state...).
6
7 I haven't updated any ebuilds to use it yet, since some details are up for
8 discussion, in particular the location the plugins should be installed to.
9 If you want to test it in the meantime, create a
10 /usr/lib{,64,32}/nsbrowser/plugins/flash directory, and move the existing
11 plugins from /usr/lib/{,64,32}/nsbrowser/plugins into the flash
12 directory. eselect will list them with their filenames, minus the .so
13 part - perhaps not very user-friendly, but this could be fixed either by
14 using a separate display name or by installing them with nicer names.
15
16 Note that changing the active plugin with the browser open works somewhat
17 erratically - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, at least in
18 some browsers. Don't think that's a bug in the module, I'm sure there are
19 enough of those as it is. ;-)
20
21 Another issue is that it only works system-wide. It would be nice to
22 allow user to be able to override the global setting, but I don't know of
23 a reliable way to do that. (At least SeaMonkey doesn't seem to let the
24 user's plugin directory override the system-wide one.)
25
26 Other things: multilib support is mainly included for completeness, it's
27 not really tested since unless I've missed something there's no way to
28 build Gnash in 32-bit mode on an AMD64 box. On the other hand, it works
29 for 64-bit browsers via net-www/nspluginwrapper. Speaking of which, it
30 would be nice to make the two cooperate further, by making nspluginwrapper
31 understand the special plugin location (possibly not entirely trivial, due
32 to the way it generates stubs for all the plugins it finds at merge-time,
33 so it would need to be taught to look in the right place). I haven't
34 looked into that very hard yet, because I wanted to get some opinions as
35 to how it might best be done.
36
37 Any comments are appreciated.

flash-nsplugin.eselect-0.1 application/octet-stream