From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installation // Bug + Question
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 05:44:03
1 On Monday 06 May 2002 10:50, Adam F wrote:
2 > To whom it may concern:
3 >
4 > Two things
5 > [please note i am *not* annoyed, the parts that died were under warranty,
6 > but this is kind of disturbing.]
7 >
8 > During installation using a LiteonIT CD-RW drive (5-15 minutes into
9 > installation), the CD was unmountable, when I checked to see if the CD was
10 > all-right, it was unusaually warm (it melted soon after). Skipping the
11 > testing i performed, the CD drive is now unusable -- i would bring this to
12 > your attention being that i suspect either the IDE controller failed (i
13 > have had difficulties in the past with this controller) or there is a bug
14 > in your CD-Drivers which ultimatly led to the downfall of the drive. No
15 > concern, still under warranty.
16
17 It is possible to install with wget (given that you allready have a working
18 linux), it requires some extra knowledge and tricks though.
19
20 Paul
21
22 ps. It is highly unlikely that drivers cause a cd-rw drive to melt. I suspect
23 either the drive itself, or the power supply. Well designed hardware should
24 never allow such things to happen
27 Paul de Vrieze
28 Junior Researcher
29 Mail: pauldv@××××××.nl