From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anyone interested in maintaining the Gentoo Handbooks?
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:29:08
1 Joshua Saddler wrote:
2 > On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 20:45:21 +0300 Markos Chandras
3 > <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> This is actually true. Maybe all devs should have access on docs
6 >> since the docs teams are dead. I would suggest to let all
7 >> developers contribute to documentation whether they belong to docs
8 >> team or not
9 >
10 > No. Many (most?) devs do not write good documentation.
11 > <snip>
12 > They don't know all the myriad documents that need editing to
13 > pick up the change made to one part of a different document.
16 They say that the enemy of the great is the good, but I think that in
17 this case the enemy of the good is the great. Since many devs can't
18 write excellent documentation the argument is that they shouldn't be
19 permitted to write any documentation.
20
21 The problem with this is that some of our official documentation is just
22 outright wrong. Right now if somebody follows the docs they are
23 guaranteed to end up with a non-functional system. Suppose a dev edits
24 those docs and fixes the version but doesn't completely clean up the
25 accompanying text or misses some obscure cross-reference. Well, maybe
26 now a user has a 50% chance of getting it wrong - which is better than a
27 100% chance of getting it wrong. Others can then clean it up (such as
28 the folks on the forums who get all kinds of feedback about these sorts
29 of issues).
30
31 I'd be the first to agree that it would be better to just file a bug and
32 let the doc team clean up the docs. Perhaps this situation is just an
33 anomoly, in which case we shouldn't be changing overall policy as a
34 result. However, if we have a resource bottleneck here then we need to
35 do something to help clear it up. That isn't meant to reflect poorly on
36 anybody who is contributing to docs - you might be doing a wonderful job
37 but unless we can find more of you then you're going to be playing
38 whack-a-mole.
39
40 The amd64 team ran into a similar issue which is why there is a policy
41 that package maintainers are trusted to stabilize their own packages as
42 long as they've tested them on the platform. That doesn't mean that
43 there aren't decent amd64 team members - only that there simply aren't
44 enough of us to keep up with everything.