From: Francesco Riosa <francesco@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo as a development platform
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:43:14
1 Daniel Drake wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 >
5 >Quite often, I use Gentoo's from-source nature to my advantage when developing
6 >or testing software packages.
7 >
8 >Gentoo is fairly well oriented for this kind of environment, but it's not
9 >brilliant. As an example, foo-3.2.1 (the latest version) is installed on my
10 >system, but more recently, they fixed a critical bug in the upstream CVS tree
11 >which I'd like to test the fix for. It's not dead simple for me to do this - I
12 >want to use the CVS sources with the ebuild already in portage. I have to use
13 >"ebuild foo-3.2.1.ebuild unpack" to extract the sources, then manually replace
14 >them with my CVS checkout. Or checkout CVS, make a new tarball, call it
15 >foo-3.2.1.tar.bz2, redigest and remerge the ebuild. Or I could create a
16 >foo-cvs ebuild and go to the trouble of making it mirror the contents of
17 >foo-3.2.1.ebuild exactly.
18 >
19 >It's great that its *possible* right now thanks to portage and co, but I'm
20 >interested in ways of making this easier. Before I give this more thought, I'd
21 >be interested to know if anyone has already got any scripts or tips :)
22 >
23 >Thanks,
24 >Daniel
27 Why do you semply add a "cat-ego/pack-cvs/pack-cvs.ebuild" near
28 "cat-ego/pack/pack.ebuild" without get bothered with virtual and similar
29 you can simply unmerge and remerge the brother package.
30 There are many examples of merging from cvs in portage tree.
31
32 just my my 1*10-7 cents
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list