From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global Systemd USE Flag
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 12:00:28
1 On 08/09/2012 12:20 PM, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > On 08/09/2012 10:57 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> No. I meant to have 'GNU' tools with 'GNU' stripped. Isn't that what
4 >> the whole discussion is about? Changing names of tools just for
5 >> someone's liking?
6 >
7 > No, we are discussing about an upstream merging two unrelated projects
8 > assuring users that nothing would change for them.
9 >
10 > In a week they claimed that it was unsupported, then backpedaled, then
11 > they changed its paths.
12
13 (picked near random mail from the thread)
14
15 sep. /usr was not supported prior to renaming and $udevdir has been
16 dynamic from the udev.pc pkg-config file for long as I can remember
17 therefore the renaming and path change is merely cosmetics to which
18 *users* don't need to pay attention to
19
20 so yeah, this whole thread is just that, trying to introduce regression
21 due to personal preference
22
23 187-r3 does it right and after fixing the few hardcoded paths in tree,
24 we can drop the 2 patches and backwards compability
25 i'm nearly done with pushing fixes to drop the few known hardcoded paths
26 we have in tree, and about to ask for a tinderbox run to catch the rest
27 (which can take it's time, the patches are there, as mentioned)
28
29 so help is welcome with the migration[1], see eg. usb_modeswitch,
30 libmtp, udisks:0, udisks:2 (configure.ac), etc. for example
31
32 [1] this is about using non-hardcoded paths and respecting udev.pc set
33 udevdir=, not really about migrating, so even if the move wasn't
34 happening, these have always been "bugs" of sort
35
36 - Samuli