From: Tim Harder <radhermit@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] developing a separate repo spec
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 23:00:50
1 Hi all,
2
3 Is there any interest these days in developing and maintaining a
4 separate repo spec [1]? Among other uses, it would help in describing
5 standardized repo features related to metadata/layout.conf settings
6 allowing devs to reference a single, canonical source in order to
7 support repo/profiles features.
8
9 The current spec doesn't define many repo specific features leading to
10 people jamming all sorts of conditional features in metadata/layout.conf
11 via profile-formats and other entries, none of which is defined in the
12 current spec.
13
14 Mostly I'm asking because I'm tired of trying to support a pseudo-spec
15 and am quite close to dropping pkgcore's support for the few
16 profile-formats features it tries to enable.
17
18 Thanks,
19 Tim
20