From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: crossdev and multilib interference
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 08:24:29
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > Steven J. Long wrote:
3 > > Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > if they're in $PATH, then the exact location is irrelevant.
5 > > > they need not be in /usr/bin to cause a problem.
6 > > > if they're not in $PATH, then you're breaking the cross-compilers
7 > > > and that is unacceptable.
8 > >
9 > > Cross-compilation should be supported via cross-emerge, and perhaps a small
10 > > script the cross-compiler sources to setup the env (ie prefix to PATH in
11 > > this case) for using CHOST-* tools, like x86-pc-linux-gnu-gcc targetting
12 > > a straight x86 platform, instead of the normal multilib setup. The
13 > > latter being used by the former (I'd have thought it was already done.)
14 > >
15 > > The cross tools should NOT pollute the default PATH, simply because the
16 > > user happened to run crossdev at some point.
17
18 > that's bs. people install crossdev to get a cross-compile environment, not to
19 > get something that only works through `emerge`. attempting to restrict it so
20 > it only works through `emerge` is unacceptable and it has never been that way.
21
22 That's why I suggested a small sh script to source, to setup that environment.
23 Personally, I do an awful lot more than that just to build a native chroot,
24 let alone cross-compile. And I really don't see the hardship for these brave
25 "cross-compilers" of yours in sourcing a small setup script, which can be
26 added to ~/.bashrc or even the system-wide one, for anyone who really wants
27 it to apply whenever they login. Is this somehow beyond our most advanced
28 userbase?
29
30 People may install crossdev to get a cross-compile environment, but it's a
31 broken design if it's not contained. And BS about how you think it should
32 ALWAYS go for everybody, only leads to borked "solutions" elsewhere like
33 telling the people on an amd64 install that they have to run some god-awful
34 "new" %multilib thing to compile for their secondary ABI. That's just as
35 counter-intuitive, when you could just fix your borkage and have a clean
36 setup for everyone.
39 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)