From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Masterplan for solving LINGUAS problems
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 12:00:01
1 Dnia 31 maja 2016 23:34:07 CEST, "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de> napisał(a):
2 >How can I select different linguas for individual packages with this
3 >approach?
4
5 Using the currently available mechanisms you could use package.env to alter INSTALL_MASK, e.g.:
6
7 /etc/portage/env/german:
8 INSTALL_MASK="@l10n -@l10n-de"
9
10 /etc/portage/package.env:
11 dev-foo/* german
12
13 However, we will probably deploy a convenient package.install_mask file.
14
15 >Michał Górny wrote:
16 >
17 >> Hello, everyone.
18 >>
19 >> Since the previous thread doesn't seem to have brought any good
20 >> solution to the problem other than stopping to (ab)use LINGUAS
21 >> as USE_EXPAND, I would like to start a RFC on a draft solution that
22 >> I'd like afterwards to propose to the Council.
25 >> Rationale
26 >> ---------
27 >>
28 >> The direct reason for this is that LINGUAS is treated as non-standard
29 >> special variable by multiple build systems. This includes the
30 >following
31 >> problems:
32 >>
33 >> 1. no localizations are installed if it is set to an empty value
34 >(which
35 >> happens in EAPI 5 when the ebuild does not use the flags),
36 >>
37 >> 2. there were historical cases where order of LINGUAS mattered.
38 >>
39 >> Those problems can't be reasonably solved within the scope of
40 >> USE_EXPAND. Furthermore, the use of flags to control localizations is
41 >> causing the following problems:
42 >>
43 >> a. maintaining correct flag list is a serious maintenance burden,
44 >> especially that differences in build systems make it hard to figure
45 >out
46 >> the 'most correct' set automatically,
47 >>
48 >> b. missing flags result in localizations being silently dropped, with
49 >> no clear way (i.e. for QA check) to detect that,
50 >>
51 >> c. large number of additional USE flags make it pretty much
52 >impossible
53 >> to limit localizations this way when using binary packages.
56 >> The plan
57 >> --------
58 >>
59 >> 1. Get approval on INSTALL_MASK GLEP [1] and finish implementing it
60 >> in Portage.
61 >>
62 >> 2. Introduce a new USE_EXPAND that can be used to control
63 >localizations
64 >> whenever this is really required (dependencies, large files, etc.).
65 >> Let's use L10N as a draft name for it.
66 >>
67 >> 3. Fix all packages using LINGUAS as USE_EXPAND, either by converting
68 >> to L10N or by removing the needless flags.
69 >>
70 >> 4. Remove LINGUAS from USE_EXPAND, therefore removing the special
71 >EAPI
72 >> rules from the variable.
73 >>
74 >> 5. Release a news item explaining the users the change,
75 >> and the necessary action. Request changing LINGUAS to L10N
76 >> in make.conf, and make LINGUAS considered an 'advanced variable' for
77 >> implicit localization control (i.e. passed through to build systems).
78 >> Recommend clean INSTALL_MASK solution instead.
79 >>
80 >> The example 'new' make.conf would probably look like:
81 >>
82 >> # controlling e.g. langpacks
83 >> L10N="en_US pl"
84 >> # stripping unneeded files