From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Request of news item review: 2013-03-29-udev-predictable-network-interface-names.en.txt
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:35:16
1 Diego Elio Pettenò schrieb:
2 > If my desktop only has one Ethernet interface, no matter how many kernel
3 > changes happen, it'll always be eth0.
4
5 That was not true with the old persistent naming. One example which we
6 encountered in #gentoo IRC was the split between e1000 and e1000e drivers
7 which caused interfaces to change names.
8
9 > Whereas, with the new predictable scheme, if I move that card around, it
10 > will change name.
11
12 It's even worse, if you mess with kernel parameters (esp. pci=assign-busses
13 for PCMCIA) then the device numbering might change without hardware moving
14 around.
17 Best regards,
18 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn