From: Paul Coucher <pcoucher@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Install step order.
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 02:44:40
1 Hi, I'm a new potential migratee from FreeBSD &, as with every distro I have
2 played with, find myself asking a question:
3
4 Why is the bootloader & bootability put in place & tested at the end of a
5 possibly lengthy install/net download?
6
7 Wouldn't it make sense to boot from the iso, partition, mkfs & build fstab,
8 transfer the cd kernel & install a bootloader.
9
10 Then you can reboot from the system, & prove that you can, before the
11 lengthy build process.
12
13 Sure the bootloader wouldn't be optimised for your processor - unless you
14 added the oportunity to edit make.conf & built the bootloader to the hdd,
15 but am I right in thinking that emerge could rebuild that later?
16
17 What am I missing?
18
19 Thanks for your time & thanks for the distro,
20 --
21 Paul Coucher, pcoucher@×××××.net DDI: +44 (0)1702 214692
22
23 Redefining "24/7 Mission criticality"