From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 14:56:39
1 On 7/27/14, 4:42 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > With dynamic deps you'd need to revbump if there is a linking change.
3 > Otherwise portage would just allow the dependency to be removed, and
4 > then linking will break, since the executable is unnecessarily linked
5 > to the dependency (in that scenario).
6
7 Right, I see - I think I got that right when first reading this, but got
8 confused after reading so many messages in this thread. Thanks for
9 patient explanation.
10
11 It seems really tricky to correctly reason about dependency resolution.
12
13 > One thing I would question in that table is "applied immediately (but
14 > can break hard when dynamic-deps stop working))." How can dynamically
15 > removing an "unused dependency" cause something to break, setting
16 > aside bugs in the package manager? If removing a dependency causes
17 > something to break, how can it be "unused?"
18
19 Yeah, I was also wondering about this.