From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [OT] Meaning of p.mask
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:07:23
1 > It's not so much the case that no-one dares try pmasked pkgs. Taking a
2 > quick trip through the forum will turn up many examples of people who do.
3 > But the longstanding policy with masked pkgs is 'this is unsupported - if
4 > it breaks, don't come to us - use at your own risk'. Right now there are
5 > plenty of people using the Gnome 2.12 RC or xorg 6.8.99 or gcc 4 or the
6 > masked utopia stack, but they know better than to file bugs because it
7 > will just be closed as invalid. Personally, the only time i'll file a
8 > bug against a masked package is when i have a patch.
9
10 I think you have to distinguish between packages beeing in p.mask because they
11 really need a lot of testing and should only be tested by users that are able to
12 fix their system themselves and packages that are in p.mask because they're
13 horribly broken. I filed 4 bugs about gnome 2.12 without adding a single patch,
14 3 of them got closed a day later.
17 Simon Stelling
18 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead
19 blubb@g.o