From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some LaTeX news
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:22:37
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Alexandre Buisse wrote:
5
6 > Hi,
7 >
8 > for all of you who have been using latex on gentoo, here are some news
9 > on what is currently happening.
10 >
11 > First of all, we have a new tetex (tetex-3.0_p1). It should have hit the
12 > mirrors this morning. This is not an official release from upstream
13 > (that would be 3.1) but a snapshot of their development tree that
14 > corrects some bugs with the autotools (see bug #113024). If we manage to
15 > solve the etex related problems (all the "Fatal error: I'm stymied"), it
16 > could be a good candidate for stabilisation.
19 Actually, it installed on a couple of my systems last night. I haven't
20 had a chance to give it much of a workout yet, though.
21
22 > A very exciting package has been added to portage lately, but it's still
23 > quite experimental : dev-tex/mpm (only keyworded ~x86 and hard-masked at
24 > the moment). It's basically the MikTeX package manager adapted for unix
25 > systems. As the texmf tree is always organized in the same way, it can
26 > interact with tetex quite nicely. Basically, you tell it which package
27 > you want from CTAN and it installs it automatically. It has so far been
28 > tested by a few people, including me, and seems to work fine without
29 > corrupting anything. However, it needs a lot more testing before even
30 > going to ~arch. Please report bugs or success in bug #110494 if you give
31 > it a try.
34 Thanks for the information. I use LaTeX quite a bit, and I'll play with
35 mpm on sparc sometime in the next few days. If it works OK, I'll give it
36 a ~sparc keyword unless someone beats me to it.
37
38 > And, last but not least, a LaTeX doc began. It's still a very early
39 > draft but any (constructive) criticism and help is most welcome. The
40 > discussion happens in bug #118405 and the last draft can be found on my
41 > devpage (http://dev.gentoo.org/~nattfodd).
44 Looks good so far.
45
46 > Regards,
47 > Alexandre
50 Regards,
51 Ferris
52 - --
53 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
54 Developer, Gentoo Linux (sparc, devrel)
62 --
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list