From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: changing the developer profile: FEATURES="test" -> FEATURES="test-fail-continue"
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:10:14
1 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> said:
2 > On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 17:11:45 +0200
3 >
4 > "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
5 > > What do you think about doing the following change in
6 > > /usr/portage/profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults:
7 > >
8 > > replace "test" with "test-fail-continue" to make it just less
9 > > frustrating (we still have a lot of test failures)
10 > >
11 > > Hopefully that will also make more of us use the developer profile,
12 > > and detect test failures.
13 > >
14 > > What do you think?
15 >
16 > I would say it's an improvement only because it might prevent one or
17 > two people from completely disabling it first chance they get. :)
18 >
19 > IMO, test failures should be given the same status as build failures.
20 > Packages shouldn't be commited until they're fixed or bypassed.
21 > Following that reasoning, FEATURES="test" is the correct setting for
22 > the dev profile. It _should_ be annoying when you hit it, that's the
23 > point. Fix it! What's the point of even having a test suite if it
24 > always fails? You'd be better off to RESTRICT it and save yourself
25 > some bug reports from me and all the other users you're foisting build
26 > errors on.
27 >
28 > But in the real world it seems it's just never going to happen. I've
29 > been arguing this for years but people simply don't care. It doesn't
30 > help that we don't have any finer control than "on" or "off". I'd
31 > like to be able to say things like "these tests should only be run by
32 > developers" or "some failures are normal" or "hope you have 10 hours
33 > to run this" or "don't run these as root" or "don't run tests on arm"
34 > etc etc. I'd like a pony while I'm at it.
35 >
36 > Sorry about the rant. This is one of my biggest long-standing
37 > annoyances.
38 >
39 > Um, so yeah. For it!
40
41 as it seems, there is disagreement about the issue among developers.
42 Perhaps the council would like to settle this, so that we can go on with
43 our lives.
44
45 i do agree, that all packages should build successfully including the test
46 phase. RESTRICTing the test and an open bug when this is not the case.
47
48 thanks
49 Thilo