From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Split distfile mirror directory structure
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 20:30:19
1 On 01/27/2018 02:47 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >> *
3 >> * Please download fileN from
4 >> * wherever fileN can be found
5 >> * and move it to $DISTDIR/subdirN
6 >
7 > Do you really believe this to be more friendly than a helper that places
8 > all the files in correct directories?
9
10 Well, it's no worse than what we have now, because it is what we have
11 now. And if having an "edistadd" helper is easier, then it could check
12 the computed hash against the manifest before moving it under $DISTDIR.
13 If the computed hash and manifest hash don't match, a decent error
14 message can be displayed.
15
16 The person who asked for it and the person who are implementing this
17 prefer hash(filename), so by all means, do that. The two stated reasons
18 for rejecting hash(filedata) just stood out to me as not very
19 compelling. Maybe Robin's comment from the bug is a better reason?
20
21 > Checksum from the manifest is problematic because not every file in
22 > distfiles is in a Manifest (there are whitelisted files).
23
24 (https://bugs.gentoo.org/534528#c29)