From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] recruitment process
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:38:18
1 On 04/05/2010 03:48 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 03:33:52 +0200
3 > Tobias Heinlein<keytoaster@g.o> wrote:
4 >> 3) Questions that aren't that important at all and would just be "nice
5 >> to know".
6 >> [snip]
7 >> Examples for these:
8 >>
9 >> 5. What is wrong with using $(somecommand) or `somecommand` or $ARCH
10 >> inside SRC_URI, DEPEND, etc?
11 >> [Devmanual, Caching]
12 >
13 > How the heck is this not important? Anyone who doesn't immediately know
14 > the answer to this has absolutely no business touching any ebuild that
15 > might end up being given to someone else.
18 My concern with these kinds of questions is that there really isn't any
19 page where we have key gotchas consolidated like "don't execute external
20 programs in global scope." Sure, it is in the devmanual, and if you
21 read the whole thing then maybe you might remember that one bit in
22 particular.
23
24 I agree that somebody who doesn't know this particular fact shouldn't be
25 committing ebuilds. My concern is that we don't really have any way to
26 make people aware of that particular fact.
27
28 Honestly, I think it would be just as effective to simply write up a
29 single webpage with thou shalt not's, and not make people go hunting all
30 over the place to figure out the whys. By all means have a link on each
31 thou shalt not to the reason.
32
33 There are lots of people who would be perfectly capable of doing many
34 developer activities who might not come in knowing about the metadata
35 cache. They don't need to know the nuts and bolts of how it works, just
36 what they need to do to avoid problems with it.
37
38 In any case, giving hints as to the location of the answer in this kind
39 of a question seems fine to me. The important thing is that the
40 candidate dev learn about the potential problem - not that they figure
41 it out 100% on their own. Still, the socratic method is a good approach
42 to teaching, so I'm not opposed to the Q&A format of the quiz in
43 general. We just need to let candidates know that we're there to help
44 them succeed and the quiz is a tool - the goal isn't to eliminate any
45 potential contributor who doesn't come to the table knowing as much
46 about Gentoo as any seasoned dev.
47
48 Rich