From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: Multiple root kernel command-line arguments
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 20:15:49
1 On 2020-08-06 21:50, Jaco Kroon wrote:
2 > Can you detect in the runscript that this will trigger and issue a cold
3 > reboot instead if this would trigger?
4 >
5 > Having never used kexec before ... I may well be missing the point.  But
6 > I'd rather have the system issue a cold reboot if kexec (which sounds
7 > really cool in principle) stands any chance of failing.
8
9 It's software. Of course you can do everything you can do in POSIX shell
10 script :)
11
12 But I doubt that something like this is practicable -- we also should
13 avoid overengineering.
14
15 Like I was thinking by myself if we should teach kexec runscript to
16 return persistent name instead (utilizing lsblk for example) but this
17 will raises question like what to do if tools aren't available and maybe
18 user's start environment can't even handle root=UUID=... value :/
22 Regards,
23 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
24 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5