From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 08:04:51
1 On Fri, 06 Dec 2019 21:10:12 +0100
2 Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Calculating dependencies... done!
5 >
6 > Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB
7 >
8 > WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a
9 > dependency conflict:
10 >
11 > dev-python/sphinx:0
12 >
13 > (dev-python/sphinx-2.0.1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
14 > conflicts with
17 This IME is more an argument that "portage is shit", not so much an
18 argument that "we need to nuke old pythons"
19
20 If this problem was a valid impetus for this removal, we'd have banned
21 PYTHON_TARGETS entirely a long time ago, and we'd have culled literally
22 everything that doesn't work on the latest python.
23
24 But I don't favour that outcome at all.
25
26 I'd rather favour an outcome where portage responds to this scenario in
27 a useful way that makes coherent sense to users.