From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] question about grub
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:38:11
1 On Friday 15 March 2002 20:00, Ryan McLean wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I was reading your excellent installation documentation online, and I
5 > ran into a question. Near the end you're breaking down the commands for
6 > grub, but you leave some information out that I would like to know:
7 >
8 > # Below needed only for people who dual-boot
9 > title=Windows NT Workstation
10 > root (hd0,5)
11 > chainloader +1
12 >
13 > I'm unclear as to what the (hd0,5) are pointing to, is to say "boot of
14 > off the FAT partition located at partition 5"? Normally MS likes to
15 > reside on the primary partition of the drive, so I just want clarification
16 > on this. For instance, if I have a dual boot, MS on the primary partition
17 > and Gentoo's root at (sd0,3), then I would put root (sd0,1) under my
18 > Windows boot section, correct? And also, what does the chainloader +1
19 > command do? Thank you fo your time, I'm an old fan of lilo, but I have
20 > been cosidering migrating to a newer bootloader :)
21 One thing you must be careful with is the partition numbers. In grub, unlike
22 the /dev/hdxy devices, the first partition is numbered 0 not 1. So (hd0,5) is
23 first harddisk, sixth partition.
24
25 chainloader +1 boots a partition that has custom boot code in its boot sector.
26 In our case, the windows boot code. Without it grub would mount the partition
27 and load a linux-style kernel (with a kernel= line).
30 Dan Armak
31 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team (KDE)
32 Matan, Israel