From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 03:27:51
1 On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 6:09:38 AM JST, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 >> The same applies for the tree-cleaners team. While their job is
4 >> very important, sometimes they are too hasty, like in commit
5 >> 34181a1045d13142d959b9c894a46ddcebf3c512. If package builds and
6 >> works fine, have no critical bugs opened, the sheer fact that
7 >> upstream as inactive and package has no maintainer is no valid to ...
8 >
9 > ++
10 >
11 > To treeclean a package it should be both unmaintained and have a
12 > significant QA issue of some kind. Simply having open bugs shouldn't
13 > be sufficient, and of course if it works fine there is no reason to
14 > boot it. Now, if the package is a blocker on some EAPI retirement or
15 > other tree-wide operation, that would be a great reason to treeclean
16 > it if it is unmaintained.
17 >
18 > Security issues should warrant masking fairly easily, but only if the
19 > maintainer is unresponsive or the package is unmaintained (or we're
20 > talking an end-of-the-world security issue). If the maintainer is
21 > about to commit a fix or disputes that the issue applies in the
22 > package, it is best to just work with them. Otherwise users will just
23 > end up putting entries in package.unmask that could cause them issues
24 > later.
27 That is exactly what happened here. We worked with Anthony following the
28 p.mask, and we have always done so with all packages that resulted in a
29 mask. Often, it simply highlights to the maintainer that a security issue
30 is outstanding and needs attention. It also protects the user regardless
31 of the vulnerabilities severity. Sometimes this a failure on upstream,
32 which also raises additional concerns if multiple vulnerabilities exist.
33 In this particular case the issues were outstanding for years.
34
35 Most developers coordinate very well with us regarding their packages.
36 Sometimes that involves relocation of sources upstream, reversioning
37 upstream, etc. While we try to resolve it on our own, the expertise of the
38 developer on that package is a tremendous asset in ensuring the package is
39 no longer vulnerable. We even patch or verify source code changes
40 ourselves to resolve bugs.
41
42 In regards to the media-video/motion mask, you can follow up with the bug
43 and see the continued efforts. Users have responded with relocated sources
44 that have a fix for the package. Something that only familiarity or
45 endless digging would bear fruit on. We are actively working to mitigate
46 the vulnerability and get the package unmasked for the community. We are
47 not just trying to kill things to kill them.
48
49 The subject of this particular mailing list post is a little alarming and
50 over reactive. We are not running around p.masking everyone's packages, but
51 issues that have been outstanding for years often result in such courses of
52 action. I personally told Anthony I should have requested his assistance
53 initially on the matter, and I do apologize for that. He is an active
54 developer who would respond in a timely manner. So once again, I do
55 apologize.
56
57 Finally, that does not dissolve the developer of providing usable,
58 substantiated, and verifiable information regarding the vulnerabilities.
59 The idea that a developer gets to choose whether or not they do so should
60 not be considered. Anthony's verbiage on Freenode was very frank, in that
61 if he chose to do so he would. We ask for all developers to assist and
62 work together with us to fix these issues. You can see the fruits of such
63 information from the developer following Alex Legler's comments on the bug
64 and my follow up actions.
65
66 -Aaron