From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A tool helps to diff and override config files
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:25:26
1 Song Ma wrote:
2 > I tried "dispatch-conf" and "etc-update". Here are two major differences
3 > from my tool:
4 >
5 > 1. For desktop user, my tool will invoke GUI based "kdiff3" to do diff
6 > and merge files if the user installed the "kdiff3". And for remote login
7 > user or the user without "kdiff3", the tool will just get the normal
8 > text-base diff.
9 >
10 > 2. My tool can override multiple config files in batch mode. Although
11 > this is dangerous, sometime it's useful and not so nagging.
12
13 You need to look at cfg-update, which has gtk+ and qt+ interfaces. And
14 is arguably less dangerous.
15
16 Better yet, just look around in the app-portage category; there are lots
17 of config file update tools, in addition to the excellent ones already
18 present in Portage.
19
20 You also need to read the Portage handbook. It explains the built-in
21 update tools:
22 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=4