From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Happy 10th birthday (in advance)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:04:54
1 On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:00:00 +0800
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > Good enough is the worst enemy of perfect.
4 >
5 > While we have s 98% solution that doesn't handle all corner cases you
6 > have a theoretical construct in your brain that might in theory cover
7 > 100% of all cases, but it's in your brain where I can't use it, so ...
8 > I'll take the pragmatic approach and use what works.
9
10 If you have a ten components, each of which 98% work, your overall
11 system is 80% reliable. If you have twenty such components, it's down
12 to 66% reliable. You're rapidly entering "when it breaks, reinstall"
13 territory here.
16 Ciaran McCreesh