From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: arm@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-dns/dnssec-root: Blind stable on arm, critical bug 667774
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 23:38:13
1 On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 17:10:10 +0200
2 Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Let me quote https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=f6f6bb91b7f134a121ef9fa1dd504b9ca52c5aa8:
5 >
6 > > net-dns/dnssec-root: Blind stable on arm, critical bug 667774
7 > >
8 > > Note that this is a major fail for a stable architecture.
9 > > In addition, all arm devboxes are currently offline.
10 > >
11 > > Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/667774
12 > > Signed-off-by: Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o>
13 > > Package-Manager: Portage-2.3.49, Repoman-2.3.11
14 >
15 > ...and now let's all sit down and enjoy how stable ARM users lose access
16 > to the Internet and have to figure out how to deactivate DNSSEC to get
17 > back online. ;]
18 >
19 > Maybe it is time to destabilize ARM on Gentoo to stop the impression
20 > that we really support ARM.
21
22 [ CC: arm@ ]
23
24 A few points to think about:
25
26 1. I have read this as a direct statement that ARM is not maintained.
27 I don't think it is a fair (or constructive) assessment of team's work
28 on ARM front.
29
30 2. The bug was created less than a week ago and was not communicated
31 explicitly as urgent on #gentoo-arm. I see failure to handle the bug
32 as a communication failure and not a team's death signal.
33
34 Were there any attempts to reach out to the teams or just arm users?
35
36 3. I do not believe arm boxes (or most of users' boxes) update @world weekly
37 and restart unbound automatically. Deadline of a few days is not feasible
38 to propagate to users quickly. There is frequently no order-of-days response
39 from arch teams. It would be nice to have but it's not realistic (IMO).
40
41 4. net-dns/dnssec-root is used by a single(ish) package in tree: net-dns/unbound
42
43 Which is: not a system package, not a default package, not suggested by handbook
44 package, can operate without DNSSEC enabled.
45
46 While annoying it's not going to lock users out or corrupt their data. I don't
47 think state of this package is characteristic of ARM support in Gentoo.
48
49 5. net-dns/dnssec-root is a plain-text file package. It should have been ALLARCHES
50 stablewithout involvement of arm@.
51
52 6. If this package is so important it needs to be stable months before keys expire.
53 Then users would have a chance to get the update during casual update. Or
54 net-dns/unbound DNSSEC functionality should not be marked stable anywhere
55 if package requires periodic manual intervention to just keep working.
59 Sergei