From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-web-user] Hardened PHP now in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:06:23
1 On Wednesday 19 May 2004 12:30, foser wrote:
2 > The second time you mention choice. I guess we know what Gentoo is about
3 > by now, the 'choice' argument is too often used just to end criticism.
4
5 If people are arguing against additional choice, then I guess that at least
6 some devs don't get that this is an important part of Gentoo.
7
8 > Choice is an illusion,
9
10 Try telling that to people using <insert distro here> who don't have that
11 choice.
12
13 > if you there's too much choice it is no use to
14 > anyone anymore, because nobody really knows what it is all about.
15
16 Agreed. So is the problem choice itself, or the tools we use to deliver that
17 choice to our users?
18
19 > This
20 > is already the case with the loads of USE flags/portage options/etc. we
21 > have. Gentoo shouldn't be about choice for the sake of it, it should be
22 > about simplicity/managability : stuff that works. It's a trade-off.
23
24 Where do we have choice for the sake of it?
25
26 Reducing choice does not always increase simplicity.
27
28 > I wasn't too happy with the introducation of local USE flags for just
29 > the reasons that are becoming a problem now. Too much flags, everybody
30 > adds them at will without good reasons.
31
32 USE flags allow users to switch on (and off I guess) optional settings.
33
34 What would you prefer?
35
36 a) hardened-php patch not available at all in Gentoo
37 b) hardened-php patch always included
38
39 Because those are the only choices you are leaving.
40
41 > We used to just say to people
42 > who wanted a specific (rare) set-up that they could easily edit the
43 > ebuild themselves to their need,
44
45 Thank god we don't do that any more! I'm all for educating our users in the
46 ways of UNIX-like systems, but perhaps that is raising the bar too high.
47
48 > but nowadays it seems we have to hold
49 > hands all the time and add complexity for nothing.
50
51 I don't think USE flags are hand-holding. The principle - that a Gentoo dev
52 spends a little time working out how to safely make an optional feature
53 available - scales far better than expecting all of our users to try and
54 solve the same problem for themselves all the time.
55
56 > That's good for
57 > nobody really.
58
59 I agree that adding complexity is not good.
60
61 > The installation manual used to be like 5 pages, by now
62 > it's a book of it's own per arch. I don't think that's a good thing and
63 > we should be really, really careful about what we can do to stop this
64 > movement.
65
66 The installation manual used to cover just one architecture.
67
68 I'm sure our users appreciate the vast improvements that the handbook
69 contributors have delivered since those early days.
70
71 > You have the choice. The real power is the easy way in which you can
72 > adapt it to your needs and the simplicity of doing so.
73
74 Which is exactly what USE flags currently provide - until someone figures out
75 a better way to deliver the same amount of choice.
76
77 > Huge loads of nobody-ever-uses them options don't help one bit.
78
79 Just because you don't use them, don't assume that no-one else finds them
80 useful.
81
82 > You should keep it basic for exactly the reason that anyone can adapt
83 > it easily. Adding layers of complexity leads to a system that needs
84 > time & effort to get into : you lose what you want, you lose the true
85 > power.
86
87 The simplicity has to be at the point of use. The major point of use for our
88 users is the 'emerge' command. If USE flags are too complicated, why not
89 suggest something better? I'm not sure that eliminating choice is something
90 better.
91
92 > The defaults should be good enough, all the extra stuff is mostly cruft
93 > in 99.9% of the cases.
94
95 I agree that the defaults should at least be sensible. But I don't agree that
96 the optional stuff is cruft. You may not need some of these options, but
97 there are users out there who are.
98
99 As long as there are developers willing to maintain these optional features,
100 why is offering choice (as a principle) wrong?
101
102 > That cruft therefore isn't necessary in the distro, keeping the
103 > playing field clean and open.
104
105 I'm *soooo* glad that everyone doesn't agree with that statement.
106
107 You want to take a distribution that provides a tonne of flexibility - more
108 than any of the competition - and see all that flexibility removed from it?
109 Is that really your position?
110
111 > We're creating tools to be able to work with our tools, thats in indication
112 > of going the wrong way.
113
114 Then what is the right way to deliver the richness that is Gentoo *without*
115 losing the flexibility that others like (even if you don't seem to)?
116
117 I guess I've mentioned choice a lot more than twice by now :)
118
119 Best regards,
120 Stu
121 --
122 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
123 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
124 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
125
126 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
127 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C