From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] $Header:$ and ebuilds
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:34:40
1 On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:00:55 +0200
2 Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > I do the same. The '$Header: $' tells me which version of a file in
5 > > the CVS tree I last synced to in my overlay, then I can just do a
6 > > cvs diff on the tree to get a patch of differences since then. Very
7 > > useful.
8 >
9 > right - but this functionality would not go away - it would just have
10 > to be implemented differently. a potential move to git would make
11 > this much more easy, if i am not mistaken.
12
13 By "implemented differently" you mean "by adding extra steps and data
14 to the synchronisation process". Currently, I compare the Header field
15 in my overlay (which SVN doesn't touch) with that in the Gentoo CVS,
16 and use the difference to drive the 'cvs diff' command to get a patch.
17
18 Removing the header would mean I'd have to record the origin version
19 somewhere, and keep that up-to-date whenever the file is
20 re-synchronised.
21
22 Having said that, it only works for me because my overlay is in SVN and
23 and is not configured to process CVS header keywords.
24
25 However I can honestly say that in my experience, the file revision
26 identification is _always_ recorded in the file - I've never yet seen
27 an SCM used in practice that didn't have that information. The reason
28 people put that information in, is so that when the file is taken out
29 of the context of the SCM repository, it's still clear where it came
30 from. This is precisely how I'm using it.
33 Kevin F. Quinn