From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Trustless Infrastructure
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 18:08:47
1 On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 7:57 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > This only helps you if a dev you don't trust is compromised. If a dev
3 > you trust is compromised, they can modify anything in the tree and
4 > you're hosed.
5
6 Yes indeed. This is more or less what we're aiming for. Putting the
7 trust in developers. The goal is for infra not to be the weak link in
8 this, as it currently is.
9
10 > Sure, I'd prefer to not extract git signatures and just distribute via
11 > git purely without any rsync.
12
13 Yea, I personally don't really care much for rsync either. I've just
14 kind of been assuming this is a requirement of any gentoo solution.
15 But maybe this whole thing should take another dimension, and we
16 should instead talk about sunsetting rsync, and moving to a model of:
17 1) git fetch, 2) git verify, 3) git checkout? There still might be
18 problems with "untrusting" devs, as I wrote above, but perhaps there's
19 room to grow within the git framework, by manually filtering commits
20 during checkout, or even by imposing ebuild directory signature-based
21 ACLs that I think you were hinting at before. So, sure, if you want to
22 call for an abolition of rsync, maybe I'd follow you in that direction
23 instead of the one here I'm proposing.
27 > Sure, but since any developer can change any file, that is basically
28 > the same thing. If somebody steals a single dev's key they can just
29 > rootkit any file of their choosing, sign that one change, and it will
30 > slip through any of these methods. The only protection against that
31 > is tracking who is allowed to touch what files, and then you're still
32 > hosed if a dev for a widely-used file gets their key stolen.
33
34 As stated above, yes, this is the intended model. And I think it's
35 considerably better than the current state of affairs. The threats get
36 even less scary as we convince Nitrokey or Yubikey to send all gentoo
37 developers free devices, and then mandate keys remain on those devices
38 and never get copied, etc etc.