From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] new eselect module: compiler
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 05:26:30
1 On 10/08/16 06:08, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 01:52:29 +0100
3 > "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 10/08/16 01:39, Lei Zhang wrote:
6 >>> 2016-08-09 13:58 GMT+08:00 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>:
7 >>>> As a question to Lei, I'm wondering why you chose eselect compiler, and
8 >>>> not gcc-config to manage the links. In a way, gcc-config is tailored
9 >>>> towards gcc, but it does a lot of things also for the environment. With
10 >>>> clang, from my experience, you just want it as drop-in replacement for
11 >>>> gcc as it doesn't give you too much issues (on Darwin at least).
12 >>> In its current form, gcc-config specializes in handling different
13 >>> versions of gcc. If we extend it to cover other compilers (and rename
14 >>> it to cc-config as James suggested), should it handle different
15 >>> versions of clang? What about different versions of icc?
16 >>>
17 >>> I'm just afraid gcc-config would become too complex that way, so I
18 >>> prefer a simpler approach: let eselect-compiler be version-agnostic.
19 >>> Then we can have clang-config to handle the versioning of clang,
20 >>> icc-config to handle icc, etc.
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>> Lei
24 >>>
25 >> Extending the ideas presented in this thread .. you could introduce
26 >> cc-config, and which utility script it runs would then be governed by
27 >> eselect compiler .. eg. gcc would have gcc-config, clang would run
28 >> clang-config ..
29 > .. to switch between the one version of clang that can be installed?
30 >
31 Tis early days Mr Gorny .. who knows what the future holds .. and Gentoo
32 is all about choice, right?!