From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Commercial" software in portage
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:00:40
1 On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 00:37 +0900, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > maillog: 22/09/2005-09:28:53(-0400): Chris Gianelloni types
3 > > I thought I had made it fairly clear, but I can elaborate.
4 > >
5 > > "commercial" would be anything that requires a purchase to use. This
6 > > could be anything from specific media (such as most games) to a CD key
7 > > or license file.
8 > >
9 > > The basic idea is to put in a marker to let people know that "This won't
10 > > work without you spending money."
11 > >
12 > > This isn't a marker of whether something is proprietary, but rather a
13 > > marker of whether something works out of the box. Sun's JDK, while it
14 > > could be argued whether it would be "commercial" or not, does work out
15 > > of the box, once you fetch the sources. You don't have to purchase it.
16 >
17 > So, how do you treat icc? It requires a license key, but you can get the
18 > key for free after registering. The package does not cost money and does
19 > not work out of the box.
20
21 Is that a full license or some kind of demo ala VMWare Workstation?
22
23 Oh yeah, and I don't maintain icc, so that would really be up to the
24 maintainers, but *I* would probably put commercial on it.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
29 Games - Developer
30 Gentoo Linux