From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] upcoming mirror cleansing
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:03:28
1 On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 04:55:14PM -0700, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 08:49:59AM -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Hola all.
4 > [snip]
5 >
6 > under 'Deletions for Sunday May 01 2005'
7 > unknown:
8 > portage-2.0.51.20.tar.bz2 sandbox-1.2.tar.bz2
9 > Perhaps a major glitch here, since portage-2.0.51.20 is the latest version?
10 Jason deployed .20 via distfiles-local to get it into the mirrors prior to
11 adding the ebuild.
12 So why is that file in the list of files that are marked for deletion?
13 Becuase at the time of the run, _no_ ebuild claimed that file. We
14 didn't push the portage ebuild into the tree until .20 tarball was in
15 the mirrors.
16
17 So it's valid. It's also the reason we wait a full week before
18 actually removing any file from the mirror tier.
21 > Also, will the script be re-run before actual deletions take place? (I'm
22 > tracking down instances of nomirror that shouldn't be there).
23 Yes. I'll be restaggering the deletions to run during the first week
24 it's live, so you've got a week. :)
25 What *can* be done, but requires a damn good reason, is that
26 individual files can have their deletion times screwed with- same way
27 I'm staggering the deletes.
28
29 That said, I don't care to do it unless requested. Mentioning it,
30 because in special cases/circumstances it may be needed (just the same
31 as in special cases/circumstances, cvs->rsync can be turned off if
32 someone breaks the tree). If a file is marked for deletion, you've
33 got a week from detection to either fix the ebuild, or add an ebuild
34 in- this however is valid. The mirror tier isn't a dumping ground :)
35 ~brian
36 --
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list