From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] giflib and libungif hell
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:44:15
1 On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 04:10 -0500, Armando Di Cianno wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On 2005-03-21 04:00:26 -0500 Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >
8 > > On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 00:41 +0900, Chris White wrote:
9 > >> So.. basically:
10 > >>
11 > >> 1) libungif and giflib both install -lgif
12 > >
13 > > Since when ???
14 > Yes, giflib installs libgif and ungif installs libungif. So, "since
15 > always."
18 Right, but the one you need -lgif, and the other you need -lungif ....
19 So I do not see your point.
22 > >> 2) They don't block each other
23 > >
24 > > Why should they??
25 > Because they at least overwrite .... (see next section)
28 Right, see next section.
29
30 > >> 3) libungif does some weird thing where it deletes the giflib header
31 > >> file
32 > >> (probably because they aren't blocking each other?)
33 > >>
34 > >
35 > > Huh???
36 > /usr/include/gif_lib.h
39 If they now do this, then somebody broke them recently:
40
41 -----
42 nosferatu linux-2.6-bk # epm -ql libungif | grep include
43 nosferatu linux-2.6-bk # epm -ql giflib | grep include
44 /usr/include/gif_lib.h
45 nosferatu linux-2.6-bk #
46 -----
49 > >> So, they pretty much install the same thing... Can I put a blocker
50 > >> on this?
51 > >> Or does someone have a valid reason why I shouldn't...
52 > >>
53 > >
54 > > I'll say because you are on crack is a good reason, but then I would
55 > > be
56 > > nasty.
57 > While not a pressing bug, imho, giflib and libungif have no reason to
58 > both be on a system (anymore, with the LZW patent being expired).
59 > They do seemingly overwrite each others files, however, and that is an
60 > issue. Things just so happen to keep working, as they are 100%
61 > compatbile, it seems (gif_lib.h seems to work from either, for either
62 > ... "seems to").
65 I did not say there we not compatible, but we used to have them not
66 overwrite each other.
70 Martin Schlemmer
71 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
72 Cape Town, South Africa