From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 10:26:56
1 On Thursday 18 May 2006 00:26, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > Given the sheer volume of impassioned response, regardless of any
3 > technical arguments, I'm dropping the top-level profile idea for now.
4 > Several architecture teams have expressed an interest in creating
5 > sub-profiles under their own, however, and I'll be working with them to
6 > get those implemented. Perhaps I'll revisit the top-level idea at a
7 > later date when all the fuss has died down.
8
9 I seriously disagree with this action. Such profiles have the same
10 problems as a toplevel profile, and as such are just as problematic as a
11 toplevel paludis profile.
12
13 Since the profile does not actually add anything except making portage a
14 virtual (which is independent of paludis, and a good idea in any case),
15 there is also no use for doing so.
16
17 If you really really need to have a profile, it might be discussable to
18 have no-portage profiles, that do not include portage or python in
19 system. These however must still be portage compatible, and independent
20 of a package manager.
21
22 Paul
25 Paul de Vrieze