From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:25:37
1 On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 04:12:45PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote
2 > On 08/20/2013 02:19 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > My question is, how can we improve our stabilization
4 > > procedures/policies so we can convince people not to run production
5 > > servers on ~arch and keep the stable tree more up to date?
6 >
7 > Just delete /etc/conf.d/net with an ~arch update every once in a while,
8 > that should convince them =)
9 >
10 > Stable is fine for the most part. The bitrot complaint is basically "I
11 > can't be bothered to add packages to
12 > /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords individually."
13
14 What he said.
15
16 > Most of our servers have one or two packages in there, for which I've
17 > already filed a stabilization bug.
18
19 From a regular user POV, I occasionally have one or 2 packages that I
20 keyword, because I want their specific feature; e.g. a ~ version of UFRAW
21 that will read the RAW format from my new camera, which stable won't.
22
23 I can see giving up on vanilla-sources kernels. See
24 http://gentoo.2317880.n4.nabble.com/newsitem-Kernel-Team-vanilla-sources-policy-td266519.html
25 Executive summary... the releases are so fast+furious, that keeping up
26 with stabilization is not possible, so it'll always be ~.
27
28 > It sucks, but it's still better than running ~arch. Problems like this
29 > should be fixed, but if you decide it's easier to
30 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" than deal with the exceptions, you're asking for
31 > trouble.
32
33 Wise words. That level of laziness *ON A PRODUCTION SERVER* is
34 unacceptable.
35
36 Are there any other packages that get updated as often as vanilla
37 sources? Maybe they should be considered for a similar policy.
40 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
41 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications