From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 03:45:48
1 On 01/21/2013 10:38 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > I'm raising this patch because of the recent spate of bugs with the
3 > latest udev that now fails to boot your system if CONFIG_DEVTMPFS is
4 > not available in your kernel.
5 >
6 > Bugs: 408947, 409393, 437320, 453074
7 >
8 > CONFIG_CHECK has not been fatal for some years now, because there turned
9 > out to be some cases where it cannot detect what the system really has
10 > [1], or what is returned is wrong [2].
11 >
12 > However, while this is has been superb in helping those corner-cases,
13 > the fallout is that users frequently ignore the non-fatal warnings that
14 > a configuration option is needed to run a binary later, and end up with
15 > weird breakage.
16 >
17 > This patch introduces a new option, CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, defaulting to
18 > enabled, that explicitly causes a die if:
19 > - CONFIG_CHECK cannot be performed successfully.
20 > - Any CONFIG_CHECK options fail.
21 >
22 > For the aforementioned corner cases, those environments are used to
23 > customizing their make.conf heavily, and they should add:
24 > CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL=0
25 >
26 > This patch does NOT change the handling of ~/tilde in CONFIG_CHECK
27 > - options that are required at compile-time MUST NOT use ~/tilde.
28 > - options that are only required at run-time MUST include the ~/tilde.
29 >
30 > Footnotes:
31 > 1. If you are using a VM environment, where the kernel is provided
32 > outside of your VM, and you don't have kernel sources, or
33 > /proc/config.gz, you CANNOT detect what options the kernel is
34 > configured with.
35 > 2. Building stages for example. You may have /proc bind-mounted from the
36 > host system, but it does not reflect the environment you are building
37 > for.
40 How does this variable interact with binpkgs?
41
42 For example, if I build a package on a system that does not have
43 CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL=0, what happens if I try to install it on a system
44 that does not have a usable kernel config?
45
46 My suspicion is that portage's environment save/restore process will
47 overwrite any setting I attempt to make on the destination host.