From: "Petteri R├Ąty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council meeting 19 April 2010
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:36:47
I was asked on #gentoo-council to respond to this post so I will. It
should also be noted council members usually speak as individual members
instead of for the council as a whole.

On 04/07/2010 06:00 PM, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote: >> 1. reconsider metadata changepolicies proposal >> ============================================== > [...] >> Can council please decide to honor >> the wish from developers to implement this? > > The council will be glad to vote on a GLEP when ready. From GLEP 1, > GLEPs are the "primary mechanisms for proposing significant new > features, for collecting community input on an issue, and for > documenting the design decisions". So use them. > > Also, you might want to check the log and summary of the last meeting > to find out why the council may end up voting no to such a GLEP. >
This doesn't exclude council members themselves from working on such a GLEP if they think it's needed.
>> 2. website redesign >> =================== > [...] >> Can council assure that a team will be assembled that can >> effectively tackle this issue? > > You want the council to aim their collective gun at volunteer > developers and force them to assemble in a team and work on something > they might not want to work on? > > In other words, if you want it then work on it and make it happen. > This is and has always been the Gentoo way. >
Council can't assure it will happen, they can only encourage and work towards such a goal.
>> 3. manpower and recruitment issues >> ================================== >> >> Another recurring theme is the lack of manpower in certain areas, the >> recruitment bottleneck and the quizzes. There are some initiatives but >> more decisive leadership is needed. Can council decide to actively >> pursue solutions for these structural problems? > > The only way to solve this is to address these issues where they are. > That means joining the recruiters team and helping them with that. > Another thing you might want to do is properly mentor recruits. > Because one reason recruiting takes so long, and thus why there is a > backlog, is (to put is simply) that mentors suck at mentoring. >
As said Council is not needed. Recruiters as a project can handle improving it just fine. I think I have pinged gentoo-core quite a few times to try get new people in, would it make a difference if I pinged as a council representative instead of as the Recruiting lead? Good news is that I have two people in training nowadays. Regards, Petteri