From: Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: regular project updates
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 19:56:38
1 On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 17:00 +0100, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > as the debate about the future direction of Gentoo continues it's
5 > getting more and more obvious to me that there's a lack of information
6 > skewing the debate. It seems that while most devs (and users) have a
7 > good idea what's happening in "their" projects it's quite difficult to
8 > see what is happening in other projects.
9 >
10 > So - as GWN monkey - I'm offering my services as aggregator for project
11 > updates. Maybe someone from the doc project wants to help to get this
12 > information put on the website so that it's visible?
13 >
14 > I suggest project updates every 6 months (which roughly is the same
15 > timeframe as releases)
16 > Maybe this helps people get a "global vision" of where Gentoo is and
17 > where it's going.
18 >
19 > Any feedback appreciated :-)
20
21 <brainstorming>
22 Perhaps we could kill more then one bird with on stone.
23
24 Once every X months, have all herds commit an ebuildish file containing
25 the following to CVS, which would then be parsed and posted on g.o.
26
27 --- begin ---
28 Herd name:
29
30 What we do:
31 General vision of our herd
32
33 Working on:
34 what we are specificaly working on
35
36 Lead(s):
37 current lead(s)
38
39 Dev list:
40 list of active devs
41
42 AT/HT list:
43 list of active AT/HTs
44
45 Herd Deps:
46 Other Herds we _need_ in order to work properly
47 simple example - x86 Herd (as it is currently called) depends on linux,
48 complex - webapps depend on PHP, Perl, python, Ruby etc; apache; ?mysql
49
50 Herd associates:
51 People we work in parallel with.
52 ie - all <arch> work in parallel
53 - KDE and Gnome work in parallel
54 Herd homepage:
55 either a homepage or a wiki
56 --- end ---
57 all herds depend implicitly on the gentoo infrastructure.
58
59 Now, If this file isn't commited to CVS on the interval, the herd
60 becomes stale, and is marked as such. If the the herd is stale for
61 interval*2, the herd would be considered dead.
62
63 Issues this may address
64 - inactive devs/testers
65 - clearly defined scopes for all herds
66 - some communication grevences (easily find a herds direction and
67 projects)
68 - easy to 'find' related herds
69
70 After parsing, this info could be posted to g.o and easily browsed. An
71 org-chart could be generated for easy reference by all.
72 </brainstorm>
73
74 <brainstorm>
75 Have all groups in gentoo be considered a herd. Including council,
76 gentoo-infra, portage, ReleaseEng and others I can't think of.
77
78 With the dependency structure developed 'from the bottom up', the issue
79 of where we are going is mitigated.
80
81 Also this allows for any group to have their own objective and not
82 conflict with each other.
83 Anyone can release a livecd under the gentoo name, just add the herdname
84 in the title. ie. gentoo-2006_hardened.0, or gentoo-2006_bin.0 or
85 gentoo-2006_server.0. There would still be an 'official' gentoo
86 release, but I would wrather see a 'default recommended' release.
87 Because in all reality, there is a different release for each arch.
88
89 </brainstorm>
90
91 This is by no means complete, just some thoughts that might work.
92
93 cat flames > /dev/null; I'd wrather hear nothing.
96 Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com> | LRU: 400755 http://counter.li.org
97 lares/irc.freenode.net |
98 Gentoo x86 Arch Tester | ::0 Alberta, Canada
99 Public Key: 0D46BB6E @ subkeys.pgp.net | Encrypted Mail Preferred
100 Key fingerprint = 0CA3 E40D F897 7709 3628 C5D4 7D94 483E 0D46 BB6E