From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Can we have process names and stdout / stderr indication to more efficiently parse build logs? (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: escape sequences in logs)
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 22:57:31
In Reply to: Re: Can we have process names and stdout / stderr indication to more efficiently parse build logs? (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: escape sequences in logs) by Tom Wijsman
1 On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 10:15:39PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote
2
3 > That is not what this is about, this is about having escape sequences
4 > in build logs obtained from Bugzilla; because, they aid in skimming
5 > through logs (until we implement the feature I asked for in subject).
6
7 "The road to binary syslog files is paved with good intentions", or
8 something like that. Question... why does it have to be escape
9 sequences? Can't it be readable plain text? E.g. something like...
10
11 //STDERR.OUT.START
12 foo
13 bar
14 blah blah blah
15 //STDERR.OUT.END
16
17 This would be easy to grep and/or parse in bash.
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
21 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications