From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: multiple inheritance support for profiles
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:58:45
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> You can get the best of both worlds using straight MI, if the profile
4 >> tree is structured properly. Use the existing hierarchy for the 'main'
5 >> profile and mixins (nodes with no parent) as extras. The only problem
6 >> with this is Portage's current reliance upon a single symlink to
7 >> specify the profile... With Paludis one could do:
8 >>
9 >> profiles = default-linux/x86/2006.0 extra/x86/pentium4 extra/misc/cookie
10 >>
11 >> but with /etc/make.profile that's not an option...
12 >
13 > Hmmm This sounds a lot more like what Kumba wanted than my original
14 > thoughts ;)
15
16 This is pretty much exactly what Kumba was talking about. I didn't like the idea
17 simply because it allowed the user to shoot themselves in the foot way too
18 easily. It will also cause QA problems, since the profiles wouldn't be strictly
19 controlled by the arch teams and releng anymore.
22 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
23 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list