From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Pluggable Hell - aka Linux-PAM and non-linux gentoos
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:19:12
1 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò wrote:
2 >
3 > Ok we could switch g/fbsd to use Linux-PAM, as Linux-PAM is multiplatform, in
4 > spite of its name, but this won't fix the problem, as g/osx would have the
5 > same problem: macosx's pam implementation is compatible with openpam,
6 > linuxpam and so on, but it doesn't support pam_stack.
7 Let's replace it or fix pam-stack to work on openpam.
8 >
9 > Now, solution of that is quite simple: just don't use pam_stack, and convert
10 > all the pam configuration file to duplicate the default system-auth
11 > authentication scheme. If someone needs to change the way system-auth works,
12 > adding ldap, samba or something like that for authentication, they should
13 > also be able to change the needed other services, such as sshd, ftpd, pop3
14 > and imapd stuff.
15 I'm against it.
16 >
17 > This is not the only thing needed to fix everything up. All the packages which
18 > depends on sys-libs/pam should be changed, as g/fbsd, g/osx and other
19 > g/non-linux can have other implementations of pam. My suggestion is adding a
20 > virtual/pam which could be used, so that g/osx will provide it directly,
21 > g/fbsd could provide it via its own packages (or using an openpam package,
22 > which could be used on linux, too), and linux still can use sys-libs/pam.
23 Too much work IMHO
24 >
25 > Also, it could be better rename sys-libs/pam into sys-libs/linux-pam: also if
26 > the name isn't restrictive, that's the right name for them: it's not "The
27 > PAM".
28 if we are going to have multiple pam implementation then I think is
29 necessary
30 >
31 > [1] http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.bsd
36 Luca Barbato
37
38 Gentoo/linux Developer Gentoo/PPC Operational Manager
39 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list