From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Austin English <wizardedit@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default DOCS for einstalldocs and HACKING file
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 06:39:26
1 On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 18:59:42 -0500
2 Austin English <wizardedit@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 06/07/2016 06:19 PM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
8 > > On 07/06/16 23:50, NP-Hardass wrote:
9 > >> From what I've seen, HACKING is a fairly common doc in FOSS projects.
10 > >> It doesn't seem to have been included in the default DOCS for
11 > >> einstalldocs in EAPI6. While going through the MATE packages, I noticed
12 > >> that we have quite a few packages that include HACKING in DOCS, so I
13 > >> cannot delete the DOCS array and take advantage of the automagic doc
14 > >> detection feature of einstalldocs.
15 > >>
16 > >> Does anyone know why we omitted this file from the default DOCS? A
17 > >> quick grep of the main repo shows ~370 ebuilds with HACKING listed. Is
18 > >> this file no longer considered worthy of being included by default in
19 > >> our installed docs? If so, looking for advice on whether it is worth
20 > >> keeping or dropping that file from my packages?
21 > >>
22 > > I made the suggestion a while back in IRC that it would be nice if there
23 > > was a way to append to the DOCS array in an ebuild, rather than have to
24 > > override it, and remember the standard list every time, or just lose the
25 > > extra file(s). Unfortunately I was laughed out of the channel. So,
26 > > whilst it would probably be something for another EAPI change .. what do
27 > > readers think of the idea of an EXTRA_DOCS variable or similar method
28 > > for doing this, for exactly this reason/purpose??
29 > >
30 > > MJE
31 >
32 > Some way to append docfiles would be very welcome IMO.
33
34 src_install() {
35 default
36 dodoc HACKING