From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:33:27
1 On Thursday 26 January 2006 23:07, MIkey wrote:
2 > Jan Kundrát wrote:
3 > > Great, there was a bug. Yeah, there was. Please notice the word "was".
4 > > It means that it has been fixed and it isn't there anymore. So the
5 > > problem got fixed. It's over. Finito. Period. Why are you still talking
6 > > about it?
7 >
8 > Because Becker needed to be informed about it. I know it was fixed, I am
9 > not bitching about it. I am merely pointing out that a stage3 installation
10 > isn't quite so simple to support and is just as prone (more prone in my
11 > opinion) to problems as a stage1 installation method. The main crux of
12 > what I am saying is that it is, in fact, more error prone and takes longer.
13
14 Is it? There is no reason to perform a gcc update. While there are arguments
15 for doing so, it is not needed. As such an unsuspecting user is less likely
16 to break his system. Incorrect manual reading/following is however a big
17 problem with stage 1 installs. They work, but they require you to either
18 follow the instructions to the letter, or to really know what you're doing.
19 With stage1 it's even more so that if it breaks, you get to keep the pieces.
20
21 > > Do you have some problems with understanding an English text? It was
22 > > already stated several times that upgrading GCC from fresh stage3 is
23 > > *not* the same as in the live system.
24 >
25 > Where are they then? How are they different? You might want to let
26 > someone else know.
27
28 This is only a temporary issue. As upgrading a stage3 is just a special case
29 of upgrading a fully live system the instructions still apply. Having
30 separate instructions is probably more confusing and a waste of developer
31 effort.
32
33 Paul
36 Paul de Vrieze